Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Staying Focused on what is most important

It is easy in today's high stress, demanding world to get caught up in day-to-day activities. When we do this, we often lose sight of the big picture. On a deep level, why are we even here--what is the point of our existence? On a less deep level, what makes me the most happy? It is interesting that we often find ourselves devoting much more energy to work, school, or hobbies, than we do our family or other personal relationships. It is intriguing how differently we might treat daily acquaintances compared to how we treat our loved ones. Isn't it interesting that often our acquaintances, business partners, or school mates get treated with courtesy and respect, but when we get home, our attitudes change, and we seem to forget we are now dealing with the people who are the most important.Making ourselves aware of what is most important must be done everyday, and in many instances several times throughout the day. The better we are able to achieve this, the more aligned our priorities become.

Decide what is most important to you, and ask yourself: How much energy do I devote to this aspect of my life? This isnt always easy. In my own life, I often get bogged down with school and work, which leaves less time than I would like for my family. But I have found that when I make a concentrated effort to put more "energy" (and not always more minutes of the day) into my relationship with my wife, son and the spiritual part of my life, everything else tends to fall into place."...happiness then is not an event, but a journey"

No comments:

Post a Comment